With this easy single season method you will get one abundant crop of mushrooms, very quickly (45 to 60 days). This works best when planted mid Spring to early Summer, after the ground warms up and the danger of frost is over. Highly recommended for mulching gardens and flower beds.
5 lb Wine Cap Sawdust Spawn Bag
1 Bale of Straw (it will cover approx 25 square feet)
1. Soak the straw in water for 3 days to drown all aerobic fungi and bacteria. Drain and spread into a tarp or screen to let it dry 2 to 24 hours to kill any anaerobic bacteria. Use fresh and clean straw with little seeds or weeds. Do not use hay as it is too rich and it decomposes too quickly.
2. Select your bed location in a partially shaded area. Contrary to most of the other mushrooms we grow, Wine Caps do better with some sunlight exposure.
3. Pack 1″ of straw, at least 18″ wide and as long as material/design permits. Crumble half of the Wine Cap Sawdust Spawn with your fingers and sprinkle over straw.
4. Add another 1″ layer of straw, another layer of sawdust spawn and a final layer of straw, for a total of 3 layers of straw and 2 of spawn.
5. Water the bed thoroughly and cover with a tarp for 5 days to conserve moisture. After 5 days, remove the cover and keep an eye for fruiting bodies.